Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Little Miss Perfect


I have generally tried to keep my reality tv obsession a secret, but oh well... it could be worse right? I have even gotten David addicted, though he would never admit it to anyone. Among my (our) favorites are The Biggest Loser, The Bachelor, and lately... Little Miss Perfect. (Becca, you HAD to know this rant was coming!)

Little Miss Perfect is a reality show that follows parents getting ready to put their little girls into pageants. They range in age from literal infants to teen. The pageant travels all over the country and is in a new city every week- there are 2 or three different girls that the cameras follow the week prior to each pageant. Usually there is one family that is fun and whose child (somewhat) enjoys it, then there is a family that is NUTS and whose child hates it and/or is a little snot. (Not putting down children in this post, it is the parents' fault that their kid is a snot, not the kids fault.)

The things they do for these pageants is unreal. The girls they follow are between 5 and 9, and they have more done to their little bodies in one week than I have in my entire life! They each get spray tanned- most have a pageant coach, get professional (glamour type) pictures done and have a choreographer to put together a routine. Some even have a hair and makeup artist! They purchase a custom made dress and a second custom outfit for what is essentially the talent portion of the pageant. Some mom's have bragged on the show that their daughter's dress cost in the thousands. Then there are other costs such as false teeth and hair. When a little girl starts to lose her baby teeth, they cover her teeth up with what they call a "flipper."

Basically, each of these pageants would have to cost close to $5,000, if not more. There is money that is given to the winner, but it is only $1,000 which would not come close to even breaking even! The parents that say they do it to make money for their child's college is either lying or stupid, not sure which one. Why on earth would you put your little girl in front a panel of judges to tell you how pretty, talented and worthy she is? What do the little girls who lose think? "I am not pretty enough" would be my first guess.

I still watch the show though- and make mental notes every time of things I will never say or do to my children. If you are interested, the show comes on tonight on WE TV. By the way, the girl in the picture is 8.

(Stepping off my soap box and getting back to work...)

2 comments:

  1. So . . . have you signed Hailey up? JK!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Um, I think I need one of those psycho moms helping me out! I have never looked as good as the "little Miss Perfect" pictured. At 8 I was probably still playing with mud pies... Oh wait, I'm SILL playing in the mud. LOL!

    ReplyDelete