Thursday, June 25, 2009

The Adventures of Grandma and Grandpa



Email from my Grandma today-

“We love the pictures and your Blog is outstanding.

Since I never learned to swim and have a fear of water, I'm so glad Hailey is taking swimming lessons. In fact, I'm glad our whole family knows how to swim. When I took your Mom and Kathy to swimming lessons, at the first session I was encouraging (demanding?????) them to do what the teacher was telling them. I was just so fearful they'd end up like me. Well, the teacher "encouraged" ("demanded") that I be quiet and let her take care of things. : ) And I did, and they learned to swim.”

I laughed out loud, and am still laughing about this email! Grandma is one of the funniest people I know, but what’s better, she has no idea how funny she is! I don’t think I ever really appreciated it until the last few years or so…

David and I went to visit them in Roswell for the day a while back when Lennox happened to have a flight there. We were all sitting in their living room together visiting when I noticed a paper-weight sitting right in the middle of the living room floor. It just seemed so odd sitting there all by itself. I looked over and noticed David was also looking at it, we exchanged a confused look… Finally I thought, what the heck, I’ll ask… “Umm, what is with the little decoration there in floor, Grandma?” Without missing a beat she said “Oh, that was to remind me that I had a doctor’s appointment today. It didn’t work though, I still didn’t get there at the right time.”

This little exchange caused me to start looking around to see if there were more little “reminders” around the house… Sure enough- David found one a few minutes later! We were on our way out the front door to go get lunch somewhere when he noticed a toy car sitting on the ledge alongside my Grandparents’ car keys. This time there was no hesitation in asking, we were excited to know- “So what is this for?” Well, I can’t remember their exact words, but basically there is a car that is always parked in the street across from their house. The toy car is to remind them of that so that they won’t hit it. I almost fell over! David casually grabbed the keys and offered to drive. J

I love my grandparents- I have laughed the entire time I typed this!

2 comments:

  1. That was a pretty funny email. I don't remember her demanding me to learn to swim! In fact, I didn't even know she was afraid of the water until I was lots older! She did something right.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is funny!! One day at Nanni and Poppas Lexi and I saw a bowl of almonds with a sticky note on them we asked about them and Nanni told us almonds are supposed to help your memory... Lexi told Nanni that if they needed a sticky note to remember to eat them they might not be helping... I agree!!

    ReplyDelete